Author Spotlight

Author Spotlight

Series Spotlight

Series Spotlight

Follow Us

Top Picks for May

© 2012 Book Lovin' Mamas. All Rights Reserved.. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Search BLM

Important Announcement for our Followers

To ALL our followers....It is time for Book Lovin' Mamas to make the switch from Blogger to Wordpress.
We do not want to wake up one day and notice that we cannot logon to our blog due to Blogger changing its policies.
We have worked too hard to have that happen...so it is long overdue, we have moved over to our domain.
It will make it easier for YA'LL to find us.
We have already started to post over at the new site...and August 1st will be official day we say GOODBYE to this site for good.
We would love for you to follow us over at our new site because we LOVE and appreciate you all for being with us on our Blogger site.
You can find us now at - booklovinmamas.com
You can even click our blog badge below to go to our new site -
Book Lovin’ Mamas
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
We hope to see everyone of you over there and I hope you all are prepared for lots of giveaways coming in August and are prepared for Anna & I's big 30th birthday bash - August 18th-September 5th.
We have lots of stuff to giveaway to you all and we are bringing our 30th birthday in style. =)
GOODBYE Blogger - It was nice while it lasted...but it's time for a BIG change and to make it easier for our followers to find us. =)
Monday, April 9, 2012

Review - "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games
(The Hunger Games #1)
Publishing Date: 10/31/08
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Genre: YA 
Source: Kindle Edition (Bought)

Description:
Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival.

Photobucket

My Review:
I'm behind the curve, I know.  Here is the honest truth...I never thought I would read this book.  When I heard the movie was coming out this year, I still didn't want to read the book or even see the movie.  I asked Anna's advice on the book since she read it awhile ago.  The kicker that had me not wanting to read this book was the simple fact of kids killing each other.  That's a breaker for me since I have two girls of my own.  One at the age of 6 and the other just turned 5 months old today.  Nope...this book was not in my interest to read...but the reader in me, had to know what the hype was about this book (and now series).  I told myself and all my non-reading buddies (who tried to get me to see the movie before reading the book)...that it was a Goal of mine to read the book before I saw the movie.  I'm not one of those movie buffs who waits in line at midnight the night before to see a movie.  Heck no!  It's bad enough, I'm getting sleep deprivation between college coursework, having a infant again in the household, and of course reading at night (since it's my only time I get to myself...sometimes).  I rather go to the movie during the day on a weekday when I don't have to deal with screaming teenagers or kids.  (I learned my lesson with Twilight & New Moon...No more!).
Movie Review will come later.
What did I think of the book?  I won't go into summarizing it...because the previews of the movie and the description of the book summarizes it pretty well.
My honest opinion...is I loved this book.  Yes...the mother instinct in me a few times wanted to throw the book a few times and ask Why? How could you just watch kids kill each other to the end?  That is just crazy.  I adore the characters though.  I loved Katniss.  I have never read a strong young female character before.  I've never read a male character before like Peeta (who I need to say now... Josh Hutcherson played him perfectly in the movie).  I was in tears in the beginning of the book when Katniss volunteers to take her sister's spot in the Hunger Games.  I was in tears whenever Katniss was trying to be strong.  I was bawling my eyes out when Peeta expressed his feelings.  It was even worst when one of the other tributes got killed in the Games.  OMG...I don't think I've ever cried so hard in my life.  I cried even harder when the Game Keepers changed up the rules, not once, but twice during the Games.  Unbelievable!!! 
Needless to say, this book had me bawling like a baby.  Thank goodness, I read this book when my family was in bed because they would've kept asking why I was crying over a darn book.  
The whole entire time I read this book, I was thinking I would be the Mom who rebelled against the Capitol.  No way, was I going to allow my child or children be thrown into a situation like that.  I would fight back.  
Unfortunately these people couldn't. I can't wait to read the next book in the series since it left me hanging at the end with what happens between Katniss and Peeta.  
Sorry I won't go into detail with the rest of the book.  Description of the book pretty much tells it and you've seen the previews of the movie. 
I highly recommend this book to anyone out there, really.  If you feel uncomfortable reading it because of the whole part of kids killing each other, believe me I was the same way.  I had to remind myself, this book is fiction.  Suzanne created it...and it's not real.  This book will make you mad, cry and happy (especially at the end).  You'll probably want to scream at the book a few times and of course you'll be rooting for Katniss.  
I definitely recommend reading the book before you see the movie also.  I don't regret it one bit, waiting over a week to see the movie so I can read this book first.  I understood the movie a lot better and I noticed what the director/producers left out in the movie.  
Movie Review will come soon...just be warned...I LOVED the book so much better. 

Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Follow us to OUR new Site

(By clicking our Blog Badge)
Book Lovin’ Mamas

Follow us via FB