Author Spotlight

Author Spotlight

Series Spotlight

Series Spotlight

Follow Us

Top Picks for May

© 2012 Book Lovin' Mamas. All Rights Reserved.. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Search BLM

Important Announcement for our Followers

To ALL our followers....It is time for Book Lovin' Mamas to make the switch from Blogger to Wordpress.
We do not want to wake up one day and notice that we cannot logon to our blog due to Blogger changing its policies.
We have worked too hard to have that happen...so it is long overdue, we have moved over to our domain.
It will make it easier for YA'LL to find us.
We have already started to post over at the new site...and August 1st will be official day we say GOODBYE to this site for good.
We would love for you to follow us over at our new site because we LOVE and appreciate you all for being with us on our Blogger site.
You can find us now at - booklovinmamas.com
You can even click our blog badge below to go to our new site -
Book Lovin’ Mamas
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
We hope to see everyone of you over there and I hope you all are prepared for lots of giveaways coming in August and are prepared for Anna & I's big 30th birthday bash - August 18th-September 5th.
We have lots of stuff to giveaway to you all and we are bringing our 30th birthday in style. =)
GOODBYE Blogger - It was nice while it lasted...but it's time for a BIG change and to make it easier for our followers to find us. =)
Thursday, September 13, 2012

ARC Review - "His Very Own Girl" by Carrie Lofty

His Very Own Girl
Author: Carrie Lofty
Publisher: Pocket Star
Release Date: 9/4/12
Genre: Historical Romance
Source: Provided by The Novel Sidekick
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Author’s Website:
http://www.carrielofty.com/

Description
After the War took the lives of Lulu Davies’s parents and her fiancĂ©, she promised herself she would guard her heart carefully and concentrate on her great love—flying the biggest and best airplanes in the sky. Lulu is a pilot in the British civilian air force, ferrying planes around Great Britain and keeping her eye on a coveted spot in a training program for world-class pilots. She’s perfectly content to strive for greatness in the skies, and dance with a few GIs on the way.

Brawny, quiet American medic Joe Weber signed up with the paratroopers to escape his checkered past; he’s hoping that jumping out of planes and patching up soldiers will earn him respect and a hopeful future. Joe’s first real test of medical skill is on a pilot whose plane takes a hard landing in a training field; after rushing to the crash scene, he is stunned to come face-to-face with a gorgeous Rita Hayworth lookalike. And when the two cross paths at a dance hall a couple weeks later, he can’t resist the urge to find out more about this spirited, dark-haired beauty.

Their flirtation breaks all of Lulu’s rules, but dance by dance, week by week, walk by walk, she finds herself falling in love with this honest, vulnerable man on the run from his demons. But as Lulu and Joe’s undeniable attraction gains momentum, World War II steadily intensifies toward D-Day. The lovers only have one night together before Joe is transported to France for the Battle of the Bulge, where his skills and his instinct for survival will be pushed to their limits. Lulu distracts herself with flight school and the friendships of her colleagues, but she can’t get the handsome medic out of her head. Only time and hope will tell if her love will return unharmed from War, and if the two will be able to overcome their pasts to form a beautiful life together in peace-time.



Review
This was a really great book and the first of it's kind that I've ever read. It took me a while to get into it but once I did I fell in love with the story and the characters. Now I'm not a history buff, so I can't say how accurate this the events in this book are, since it takes place during WWII and quite a few real historical events take place, but it really felt like the author knew what she was talking about and did her research to make the history as accurate as possible. I really felt like I was there with the characters, going through the good and bad with them and I'll admit there were quite a few tears. I just couldn't help it! I can't imagine living a life like that. To find someone you can love, finally, and then to not know. It definitely kept me turning the pages because I had to know!

I loved all of the characters but it was Joe that I especially loved. He's not just the hero of this story, he's a true hero in every sense of the word. During the heartbreaking war scenes I could hardly breathe, I was on the edge of my seat hoping that everything turned out ok with him. I almost couldn't stand it but without those scenes this book wouldn't have been what it was. And then when he's with Lulu, just wow! He's really the best kind of man and no matter his background he definitely deserved the best! Although he did have those few moments where he was a regular stubborn man and I just wanted to pop him on the head and say "shut up already" but like I said, he's a man and things were way different back then so I can imagine that falling for a woman who risks her life flying on a regular basis wasn't very easy for him, so he gets a pass. :) I also loved Lulu. I loved her sense of humor and how she never backed down when a man challenged her choice to fly. She's a very headstrong stubborn woman but it fit. And it being such an intense war atmosphere she really needed all of the strength she had. I enjoyed the dynamics between the two also. With both of their backgrounds making it hard to love someone it seemed close to a miracle that they found each other. But oh did they find each other! Such beautiful romance between the two! I loved them even more together than I did apart!

Now that I've read this book I have a craving for more. More of this time period, movies, books, music, whatever I can get my hands on I plan to devour! Thank you Ms. Lofty for writing this heartwarming story about a critical time in our history! The perfect characters, the depressing but true setting of a real war and the love story of an army medic and a pilot really touched me! I give this book 5 Moons and I recommend all romance lovers at least give it a try, especially you Historical Romance fans. It made me love history when I thought I hated it and it's such a beautiful story that in my opinion shouldn't be missed! Well done Carrie! I am beyond impressed by this book!

Side note: The cover for this book is absolutely beautiful! It really captured the feeling of the whole story and the whole time period!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Follow us to OUR new Site

(By clicking our Blog Badge)
Book Lovin’ Mamas

Follow us via FB