Author Spotlight

Author Spotlight

Series Spotlight

Series Spotlight

Follow Us

Top Picks for May

© 2012 Book Lovin' Mamas. All Rights Reserved.. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Search BLM

Important Announcement for our Followers

To ALL our followers....It is time for Book Lovin' Mamas to make the switch from Blogger to Wordpress.
We do not want to wake up one day and notice that we cannot logon to our blog due to Blogger changing its policies.
We have worked too hard to have that happen...so it is long overdue, we have moved over to our domain.
It will make it easier for YA'LL to find us.
We have already started to post over at the new site...and August 1st will be official day we say GOODBYE to this site for good.
We would love for you to follow us over at our new site because we LOVE and appreciate you all for being with us on our Blogger site.
You can find us now at - booklovinmamas.com
You can even click our blog badge below to go to our new site -
Book Lovin’ Mamas
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
We hope to see everyone of you over there and I hope you all are prepared for lots of giveaways coming in August and are prepared for Anna & I's big 30th birthday bash - August 18th-September 5th.
We have lots of stuff to giveaway to you all and we are bringing our 30th birthday in style. =)
GOODBYE Blogger - It was nice while it lasted...but it's time for a BIG change and to make it easier for our followers to find us. =)
Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Review - "The Demon Lover" by Juliet Dark

The Demon Lover
(Fairwick Chronicles #1)
by: Juliet Dark
Publishing Date: 12/27/11
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group
Source: Netgalley
Genre: Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy

Description:
Since accepting a teaching position at remote Fairwick College in upstate New York, Callie McFay has experienced the same disturbingly erotic dream every night: A mist enters her bedroom, then takes the shape of a virile, seductive stranger who proceeds to ravish her in the most toe-curling, wholly satisfying ways possible. Perhaps these dreams are the result of writing her bestselling book, The Sex Lives of Demon Lovers. After all, Callie’s lifelong passion is the intersection of lurid fairy tales and Gothic literature—which is why she finds herself at Fairwick’s renowned folklore department, living in a once-stately Victorian house that, at first sight, seemed to call her name.
But Callie soon realizes that her dreams are alarmingly real. She has a demon lover—an incubus—and he will seduce her, pleasure her, and eventually suck the very life from her. Then Callie makes another startling discovery: He’s not the only mythical creature in Fairwick. As the tenured witches of the college and the resident fairies in the surrounding woods prepare to cast out the incubus, Callie must accomplish something infinitely more difficult—banishing this demon lover from her heart.
Photobucket

My Review
Did you ever buy a book because the cover captured your attention?   
Well...this book definitely captured mine when I saw it in Netgalley.  I didn't even bother to read the description to find out what the book was about before I requested it.  I usually don't ever do that, but for some reason I did with this one.  The cover just drew me in.  I have a weakness of beautiful book covers.  Oh...I have a obsession with the color blue...which didn't help either.
I tend to describe the book in my words in the beginning, but found that is a waste of time sometimes...so instead I'm going to type up what I loved and disliked about the book.
Once I started reading "The Demon Lover", I a hard time reading it at first.  The first few chapters just wasn't capturing my attention like all other books I've read and you would think it would with how Juliet Dark threw in a love scene in the very beginning.  I very sexy, seductive Man who creeps into my dreams...why wouldn't I love this book?  I had to put this book down several times and come back to read it.  I thought if I put it down...the book would miraculously capture my heart like other books have...Unfortunately, the book didn't capture my attention until the very end.  I was determined to finish this book though.  I hate starting a book and not being able to finish it.  It's a big pet peeve of mine.
The Author tended to describe certain things in detail for too long...and I lost interest.  Once she started writing about dilemmas for the character Callie...then the book caught my interest again.  Although, it was back and worth getting my attention which I hate.  Ugh!
I adored Callie in the book.  Her intelligence and her determination, made me realize her character reminded me of myself.  Although, there were points in the story where I could've slapped Callie silly.  Wake up, girl...something is seriously wrong with Fairwick and what is happening to you.  
I can't stand a book that is predictable...which "The Demon Lover" was to me.  It may not be for other readers, but for some reason I was able to pick out what was happening and not get the "Awe" feeling.  I knew what was going on with Callie.
Callie's dreams in the beginning is what spiked my love for the book.  Once I found out who and what was going into her dreams, I felt I had to read the book even more and not put it down anymore.  I love reading books about Incubus's.  Callie's love life really was rough at first since she lived far away from her boyfriend, Paul...maybe the Incubus was doing her a favor.  I think my favorite character would have to be the Incubus in the story.  He was the main plot to the book...but Juliet did throw in other stuff, that maybe shouldn't of been added. 
I always love trying out new authors who I have never read from.  Juliet Dark created a very Gothic supernatural world.  I did feel like I was actually in the book sometimes with the dark, supernatural way she wrote.  Her writing style is definitely different to what I'm used to, but it's not a horrible thing.  I look forward to reading the next book in the series.  I just hope the next book I won't have to put down.  Maybe I should shut myself away from the world when I read the next book...unfortunately that won't happen when I'm a mother of two girls who hate seeing me with a book in front of my face.  They want to know what I'm reading, but unfortunately their not even close to the age, where they need to read the books I read.  =) 
I recommend this book for anyone who loves Gothic style Romance.  You'll find yourself in a world where your not used to...if you think this book is any style compared to Gena Showalter, Kresley Cole, etc.
Juliet Dark, has her own writing style.  =)  
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Follow us to OUR new Site

(By clicking our Blog Badge)
Book Lovin’ Mamas

Follow us via FB